The fifth-ranked player in the world, Daniil Medvedev, advanced to the Monte Carlo Masters third round by defeating Italian Lorenzo Sonego in straight sets and earning his first victory on clay this year.
Sonego was defeated by Medvedev, who has won four trophies on hard courts this year, 6-3 6-2. Clay is not Medvedev’s favoured surface; the 27-year-old Russian, who is seeded third in Monte Carlo, has never claimed a championship there.
“Every match is difficult for me on clay,” he said. “There’s no rhythm on clay,” said Medvedev, who will face German Alexander Zverev on Thursday. “Even when it’s nice, you’re on the lookout for a nasty bounce.”
In just his second match on clay since sustaining a bad ankle injury in the French Open semi-final against Rafael Nadal last year, world number 16 Zverev defeated Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut 6-4 6-4.
Also on Wednesday, fourth seed Casper Ruud of Norway beat Dutchman Botic van de Zandschulp 7-5, 7-6 (7-1) and will play Jan-Lennard Struff after the German, 100th in the global rankings, stunned Australia’s world number 19 Alex de Minaur in straight sets.
In the third round, Jannik Sinner will face Hubert Hurkacz of Poland because Diego Schwartzman, the Italian’s opponent, was forced to withdraw due to a shoulder injury.